[linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself

Tobias Ulbricht up5a at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 1 10:40:12 EST 2004

hi, joining in for a second after reading Courtney Love's article and the amazing magnatune site...

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:12:31PM +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > So, does anyone
> > know how to get a CD out of a player mounted in the dashboard of a
> > car ?
>
> There's sometimes a pinhole which you can use to eject discs manually
> with a straightened paperclip. If that fails, the unit will probably
> have to go back to the dealer.
>
> >      -scms  If this flag is present, all TOC entries  for
> > subsequent  audio tracks of the resulting CD will indicate that the
> > audio data has
> >               no permission to be copied anymore.
>
> I wouldn't call that copy protection, since we know that SCMS is
> easily ignored or bypassed.

I would call it the _perfect_ copy protection.
As someone pointed out: anything you can listen to, you can copy.

So, the last meaning of copy protection for me means the _information_:
So I will put in a CD, an read (scms): "oh, this guy doesn't want me to copy his CD", "well then I go and buy/dl it..."
or I will read (-copy): "Alright then, I can copy this one..."

the world is good. we are not evil.

cheers, tobias.