[linux-audio-user] anti-compressing?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Apr 14 08:53:16 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 13:50, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Few days ago there was discussion in the list about
> mastering-CD/compressing/ limiting/gain-upping and so on. I have strange
> feeling from the discussion. Does it mean, that, indead, we (all
> CD-listeners) listen DAMAGED with such compressing music? I don't mean any
> music/sound engineering work! I'm saying about market demands (compressed
> music is more sutable for cheap audio quipment, isn't it? And compressed
> sound seems to be better at low volume level, don't it?).
> If it is true (i.e., a market demands to damage music) - are there any
> (software) tools to anti-compress a dynamic range? And - is it worth even
> to try to expand dynamic range?

You could try anti-compressing music but It doesn't do you any good. The only
effect is that you have to turn you amp up for the solo of the violine and
then get angry neighbours when the rest of the orchestra comes back...

Turning the volume of an instrument up via compressor is not the same as
playing the instrument louder as the compressor doesn't change the sound of
the instrument which is most of the time your distinction between loud and
quiet sounds/instrument-playing.

> P.S. I'd like to repeat, I don't say about engineers work - they try to do
>      their work as good as possible, I think. I'm saying about a market
>      influence to music quality.

The quality of the music is raising with the compressor...

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---