[linux-audio-user] anti-compressing?

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 09:12:35 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 03:50:00PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:

> Does it mean, that, indead, we (all CD-listeners) listen DAMAGED with such
> compressing music? I don't mean any music/sound engineering work! I'm saying
> about market demands

Yes. The demand is often from the producer or performer, as in the
case that started the thread, where the client simply wanted his CD
LOUDER than the competition. Unfortunately that's what everyone else
wants too...

When it gets broadcast on the radio it gets compressed even
more :-(

> If it is true (i.e., a market demands to damage music) - are there any
> (software) tools to anti-compress a dynamic range?

You can't get the original back - even if you knew exactly what
compression settings were applied it would be difficult, and when you
don't know, and it's different for every album and even every track,
there's no hope at all.

> P.S. I'd like to repeat, I don't say about engineers work - they try to do
>      their work as good as possible, I think. I'm saying about a market
>      influence to music quality.

Re-educating the public is the only answer - any volunteers? :-)

There is a case for compressing music when it's listened to in a noisy
environment. Sadly that's almost everywhere these days, but in a car is
is good common example of an environment where sound compression is
really helpful. I've tried it with a minidisc of some chamber music, and
while the result isn't terribly musical, at least it's nearly all
audible while driving.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444