[linux-audio-user] pd vs. supercollider

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed Apr 21 09:31:43 EDT 2004

> I doubt, that the dsp calculations will really be faster on SC3 than
> in Pd. Pd actually can calculate things very fast and also is
> optimized for realtime work. Nevertheless you know that Pd still has
> problems with the GUI sometimes disturbing audio computation. This
> won't happen with SC3. But it also doesn't happen when Pd is run in
> "-nogui" mode.
pd and sc3 have completely different architectures ... on pd one thread
is computing everything (dsp, control messages, gui) ... and the dsp
engine is related directly to the graphical representation of the
patches...
i'm not really familiar with the way the sc3 server works, but it's
probably only computing dsp ...

> As SC3 to my knowledge doesn't have a GUI in the Linux version, you
> either will have to live without one or use something else as GUI, for
> example Pd, which can control SC over OSC. See Kjetil's SC-objects for
> Pd.
that was my idea ... pd's gui, sc's dsp
i haven't fully understood pd's dsp engine, but i don't know if it's so
good, that dsp and gui are that connected to each other ... so if i
would rebuild my pd patch, i'll devide it into two seperate pieces, one
dsp and one gui block that run in different instances ... and if i'd do
that, why not change the dsp engine ...

> Still, learning more about SC3 is on my TODO-list as well. Let's start
> on LAConf2, shall we? ;)
one of the reasons why i go there ;-)

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,