[linux-audio-user] regarding SCons

Juan Linietsky coding at reduz.com.ar
Fri Apr 23 13:01:53 EDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 10:45, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   I'm happy to see and hear another release of CheeseTracker, but I have
> a couple questions regarding SCons. I'm not opposed to its use, it
> appears to resolve many issues for cross-platform builders, but since it
> is relatively new (and I'm relatively old) I'm a little confused by it.
> The SCons FAQ is pretty much just useless history and doesn't answer the
> following questions:
>
>     1. Apparently SCons does without the need for anything like 'make
> depend' or 'make clean'. If that's true, does it mean that SCons builds
> fresh every time, i.e., that it autoerases the compiled objects ?

It's indeed fresh every time, it doesnt really precompute anything before
building.. though detection for now is up to the user.. which is still
not much problem since nowadays we  have pkg-config..

>     2. If something like 'make clean' is supported, how do I invoke it ?
> What can I do if I don't want automatic erasure of the object files ?

scons -c
is just like make clean

>     3. No man pages, that sucks on a UNIX/Linux platform. The GNU
> autotools have them, SCons should have them too.

"man scons" works for me..

>     4. No 'scons uninstall' ?? Again, if I'm missing it, please inform
> me how it's invoked.

Oh I forgot the target.. I think that's up to the user to do for now..

>   CT and Csound are now the only two apps on my system that use SCons.
> The maintainers of Csound couldn't make the autotools work for
> themselves, so now you must add downloading and installing SCons (and an
> up-to-date Python) to the process of building Csound. Happily, that
> isn't especially difficult, but it does add another layer of complexity
> to the process. More to the point, why don't the mainstrean Linux
> distros include SCons as a matter of course ?

Debian does... and I believe gento too..
though not sure about redhat-based distros..

Cheers!

Juan Linietsky