[linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging

Matthew Allen matthew at lith.com
Fri Apr 23 13:36:10 EDT 2004

	For a newbie (someone who hasn't even installed a distro yet) I
would suggest doing a Live CD first (Dynebolic is the most mature for
multimedia, however the Agnula guys currently have one just about ready
to go). Once the Linux newcomer has gotten an idea of what you can do
(and more importantly what they want to do) with linux using the Live
cd, they can then start to look at distros.
	The live CD route has a couple of advantages. First, if they
find they don't like Linux, all they need to do is reboot. No pain, no
hassle, nothing. Second, the live CD's are a great way to gradually
learn all of the ancillary stuff you need to know if you are going to
use linux (command line stuff, configuring programs, directory structure
(like: what is your home directory?), etc.) The problem with going the
straight Distro route (except I think for CCRMA which seems to get
everyone who tries it up and running VERY VERY fast) is that you are hit
with all of this 'new' info right at the onset. It can be a bit
overwhelming, and a live cd really helps to acclimate a new user to the
wonderful world of Linux.

m.