[linux-audio-user] New box problems...

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Apr 23 20:32:48 EDT 2004

Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan at starband.net> writes:

> Have installed Thacs 2.6.5 MM kernel, modprobed "realtime allcaps=1"
> manually. Installed the regular set of apps also from Thacs recently
> updated page for 10.0;
>
> Qjackctl
> Jackit .98
> Ardour most recent
> etc,etc,etc.
>
> I can get Jack to fire up no problems but the Xrun callbacks run like
> crazy!  It seems to do it only on the playback side of the duplex I/O.
> (tested in options of Qjackctl) Does not appear to do it on Capture.
> Ardour connects as client etc. Seems fine although I've not tried to
> record anything yet. Just realized that the only thing I have not set up
> is "tmpfs" although I did on the last install with the exact same setup
> and it still did the same thing.

This will print the tmpdir JACK is using...

 $ jackd -V

> Any ideas??

There are lots of things that can cause xruns.

For starters, make sure you're specifying the --realtime (-R) option
and running `jackstart' rather than `jackd'.  This is required for
using capabilities as a normal user (modprobe realtime allcaps=1).

IIRC, Thac's packages may require a command named `jackd-realtime',
instead.  Someone will correct me if that is wrong.
--
  joq