[linux-audio-user] New box problems...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sat Apr 24 04:03:53 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 17:32, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan at starband.net> writes:
>
> > Have installed Thacs 2.6.5 MM kernel, modprobed "realtime allcaps=1"
> > manually. Installed the regular set of apps also from Thacs recently
> > updated page for 10.0;
> >
> > Qjackctl
> > Jackit .98
> > Ardour most recent
> > etc,etc,etc.
> >
> > I can get Jack to fire up no problems but the Xrun callbacks run like
> > crazy!  It seems to do it only on the playback side of the duplex I/O.
> > (tested in options of Qjackctl) Does not appear to do it on Capture.
> > Ardour connects as client etc. Seems fine although I've not tried to
> > record anything yet. Just realized that the only thing I have not set up
> > is "tmpfs" although I did on the last install with the exact same setup
> > and it still did the same thing.
>
> This will print the tmpdir JACK is using...
>
>  $ jackd -V

jackd is running in /tmp, now setup with tmpfs.

> > Any ideas??
>
> There are lots of things that can cause xruns.
>
> For starters, make sure you're specifying the --realtime (-R) option
> and running `jackstart' rather than `jackd'.  This is required for
> using capabilities as a normal user (modprobe realtime allcaps=1).

Been running everything as root. (su root) Should have mentioned that I
guess. Jackd is starting in RT mode according to the message output of
Qjackctl 2.7b.

> IIRC, Thac's packages may require a command named `jackd-realtime',
> instead.  Someone will correct me if that is wrong.

I think the jackd-realtime option got dropped? The last "jackd-realtime"
package I saw was back at version .94.