[linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Sat Apr 24 05:57:10 EDT 2004

reposting this cuz I ALWAYS forget to make the messages plain text from my
windows machine:

Hello all - this has actually become a general problem, but I think it was
caused by Ardour, so I'm cross posting on linux audio and the ardour lists

I'm running Red Hat and the latest ardour from Planet CCRMA which I think is
0.9beta11.2-1 - I was recording a take, and upon pushing stop Ardour
crashed - a similar has happened many times with this version, actually
pretty much every time - after the take, it gives me a memory error, I click
ok, ardour exits, I go back, but it kept the take.

but this time, it crashed without that, i started ardour again, the take
WASN'T there, and then ardour either froze or crashed I can't remember which
cuz I was in session so it was hectic, and I needed to reboot manually and
so I did, and now, though, it won't boot - it hangs and says "kernel panic.
no init found.  try passing the init= option"

I can provide more details if needed - I think the kernel is also the latest
planet kernel - but from what I've been able to find I don't think it
matters.

so I grabbed my emergency boot disk, or what I think is my emergency boot
disk, because I have never used it, and reset, and I get what I'm sure is a
familiar prompt to most, the 'ol

boot:

and it's telling me to hit return or wait ten seconds to boot from /dev/hda2
(hmmm - is that where the boot loader really is on my system?  not sure)  -
and that I can "type "linux <params>", and press <return> if I want to
override the defaults

now I know nothing about these params and I'm more familiar with a dos boot
disk where i shove that thing in and reboot and I'm looking at a dos prompt
even if my harddrive is totally wanked.

what I've read has told me to boot up and edit some files - fstab maybe?
but uh - *blush*  - how can I get to a danged prompt?

for the ardour list:  does this sound familiar, is this version of ardour
known to do this kind of thing?