[linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Apr 24 22:01:14 EDT 2004

> > It could be that the new install did not update grub (who knows why) to
> > point to the newly installed system and you are still trying to boot the
> > old one. Hmmmm, if fact that could be the case if you have duplicated
> > labels. Check the labels of the partitions that are supposed to be the
> > "/" partition (you should have two if I understand correctly what you
> > did). If one of your root partitions is /dev/hda2 then:
> >
> >   e2label /dev/hda2
> >
> > should output "/"
>
> interesting - e2label /dev/hda2 - which I believe is the root, gives me the
> error about a too high revision (ext3/ext2 thing)

Ok, so that's the old root ("/").

> e2label /dev/hda - same error - hda0 (which may not exist) same, hda1 same -
> hda3 it give:
>
> /boot

The boot partition (where the kernel lives). No way to know if it is the
old, or the new or it is used by both installs (well, you could mount it
and see the dates of the files, I guess).

> there's two drives in this machine - so I tried
> e2label /dev/hdb
>
> same error
>
> e2label /dev/hdb2 gives me
>
> /

So this is probably where the new install is located. Did you try
/dev/hdb1? There must be one. What is the output of:
  fdisk -l /dev/hda
  fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Anyway, any grub experts out there? Probably grub needs to be pointed to
/dev/hdb1 as the root partition, right?

-- Fernando