[linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 25 14:59:15 EDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:05:56PM -0700, Aaron Trumm wrote:
> hmmm good idea - although I'm not comfortable with ANY of those tools -
> gonna have to get one - or make one, which means I gotta get this machine to
> boot if I want to be able to burn a CD
>
> hmmm
>
> what I'm thinking is that something is corrupted, hopefully not physically,
> on my big harddrive.  so I think what I'm gonna do is take it out, get the
> system going with the other drive (smaller), cuz I don't THINK it's screwed
> (although I could be wrong) - then make a cd of one of those and maybe try
>
> my real goal as always is two fold - learn new stuff, expand skillset, but
> also be able to work - but right now my goal is to get the data (especially
> these tracks i just recorded and hadn't backed up), store it, reinstall from
> scratch, wipe, clean, wipe butt, shower, reinstall audio apps, get data back
> and be back on track.
>
> hmm deee dooommmmm - man it was screwy because this crash happened in the
> middle of the first session with any other players in my new
> studio/apartment - DOH!

Aaron - At the root shell prompt, enter you root password. Then do the
following:

e2fsck /dev/hda1
e2fsck /dev/hda2
e2fsck /dev/hdb1
e2fsck /dev/hdb2
e2fsck /dev/hdb3

,etc., until it doesn't give you any more errors. Note that the fix routine
could take a long time if there is a lot of damage but I have seen an
apparently thrashed drive come out of its coma unscathed by using e2fsck.
Worh a try.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca