[linux-audio-user] Is there no way to split L+R channels for ALSA applications?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Apr 28 18:07:09 EDT 2004

Malcolm Baldridge wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised noone knows of a way to specify just one channel of a
> given output device, i.e., just the LEFT channel or the RIGHT channel of the
> main PCM output device.  The asoundrc syntax documentation is extremely
> lightweight in this regard.  The closest thing I've seen is an example
> showing how to bind two stereo output devices into a single 4-channel output
> device using "bindings" directives.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers.
>
> Thank you,
> =MB=

It's sort of an overall weakness of letting every application do what it
wants, I think, instead of a more centralized way of setting up
requirements for Alsa applications.

Anyway, when I've needed to do this sort of thing I've been lucky enough
to have Jack applications that will handle my audio data formats. At
that point I just use qjackctl to route the left or right outputs where
I want them to go.

Maybe you can do the same, or something similar?

- Mark