[linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Aug 2 07:58:52 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 11:08, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi!
>   My wishes:
>   I REALLY NEED a textbased interface (like fluidsynth or ecasound perhaps!

I designed the noiseweapon with this in mind, you can use it on the
python commandline. These commands start it up, add a subtractive synth
voice, set the midi channel to 1 and tweak the distortion amount.

>>> import noiseweapon
Opening alsa midi for reading
connected to jack...
JackClient::ConnectOutput: connecting source [Out0] to dest
[alsa_pcm:playback_1
]
JackClient::ConnectOutput: connecting source [Out1] to dest
[alsa_pcm:playback_2
]
>>> noiseweapon.GetInstrumentList()
'sub add dirt fm'
>>> myInst = noiseweapon.AddInstrument("sub")
>>> instID = int(myInst.split()[0])
>>> noiseweapon.ModifyInstrument(instID,"Midi",1)
>>> noiseweapon.ModifyInstrument(instID,"Distortion",0.8)

AddInstrument() returns a space seperated description of the voice, the
ID being first item.

The caviats being that it's very new and a bit fiddly in some respects,
but it would be great to have some feedback from someone using it like
this.

cheers,

dave