[linux-audio-user] OT: Microphone info

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Tue Aug 3 16:10:27 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:50 pm, Alastair Couper wrote:
> I am looking into getting a decent microphone, but am having a hard time
> wading through all the obviously subjective yet passionately held opinions
> that I see in various reviews. I am skeptical that a $1000 mic is 5 times
> better than a $200 mic. How much of what I read and hear is simply an arms
> race for professional studios ? In talking to pro friends with their

As much as you're thinking. All the marketing is based in fact, but it's a lot
of hair splitting. Demo mics and trust your ears. Start the comparison with a
mic you're familiar with to calibrate your senses. Also consider how you're
going to use the mic, you may be better off with something that's a little
more robust vs one with "better" specs (read: more expensive).

> multi-k$ mic/preamps, it seems to end with: "It was either that, or give
> the money to the gov in taxes."

OT:
This is a very important statement and bears thinking about when considering
cost as a factor for linux audio market penetration. I would bold tag this and
make it blink red if I sent HTML email.

> Any links to info much appreciated.

I expect you're clued on the polar pattern and dynamic vs condenser issues.
I've heard the capsule size vs freq response chestnut has been invalidated,
but I'd still go with a large capsule.
"The low end has a lot of sizzle and the highs are very warm" (joke)