[linux-audio-user] OT: Microphone info

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Aug 3 16:13:44 EDT 2004

Alastair Couper wrote:
> I am looking into getting a decent microphone, but am having a hard
> time  wading through all the obviously subjective yet passionately held
> opinions  that I see in various reviews. I am skeptical that a $1000 mic
> is 5 times  better than a $200 mic. How much of what I read and hear is
> simply an arms  race for professional studios ? In talking to pro
> friends with their  multi-k$ mic/preamps, it seems to end with: "It was
> either that, or give  the money to the gov in taxes."
>
> Any links to info much appreciated.

A very, very subjective topic. Worse than just the price of trying these
things out, quite often (in my research, not in my use) people report
that mic A was excellent with preamp X, but was just average with preamp B.

I think you should tell us more about what you want to record and what
price range you're looking in, or what your overall budget is and what
range of things you want to work on.

Recording drum overheads is a different task than recording vocals. Can
you afford to buy separate mics for all your different jobs.

For my money, in the mid-price-range, I find it hard to beat the quality
vs. price of most of the Rode mics. On the low-end, but dodgy
reliability, are these Octavia mics you see so much of these days. We
all know the names of the high-end mics we cannot afford to have 1 of,
much less 6, so we need not go there unless you're asking for help on
disposing of a recent inheritance... ;-)

Let us know...

Mark