[linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Microphone info

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Aug 4 14:50:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:12:28AM +0100, anahata wrote:
> Do a Google groups search on group:rec.audio.pro and your mic of choice.
> There will be some derision if if's a cheap mic, but it's worth going
> through the results because you will often get:
>
> - opinions from people in the industry who've actually used it
> - opinions from people with good ears
> - suggestions about what specific instruments or types of voice it's
>   good/bad for

Yes, but you will also have to weed out:
- opinions from people who have very little experience and very little
to compare it to

In all honesty, as opinionated as I am, I fall into that category.

There are some people whose posts in rec.audio.pro I give more
consideration to:

Harvey Gerst
Scott Dorsey
Fletcher
Mike Rivers
... darn, i've forgotten the rest, it's been a while.

basically you have to learn who you trust and what their
assumptions are.  Someone with a budget of $10000 for a mic
might mean something different than me when he says mic X is "awful" :-)

rec.audio.pro used to be THE place to go to discuss pro audio online...
now the signal/noise ratio is so bad a lot of the old regulars have
moved to moderated forums.  Sad.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com