[linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Microphone info

Alastair Couper kalepa at shaka.com
Wed Aug 4 15:36:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:50:10 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:

> rec.audio.pro used to be THE place to go to discuss pro audio online...
> now the signal/noise ratio is so bad a lot of the old regulars have
> moved to moderated forums.  Sad.

Indeed. A few hours spent looking over mic related posts left me just as
disoriented as before. That is why I come to places like THIS, with high
levels of decorum and respect.

Thanks!! to everyone for putting in their two cents worth. What I get from
all that I have read now is that there is no substitute for auditioning.
Buying something untested is a pig in the poke, at least in the $$$ I can
afford.

I see there are two main strands in music makers: those that are most
interested in and sensitive to the sound, and those that are mainly
hearing the content. I seem to be in the latter. I am happy listening to a
less than excellent recording of a great performance, but can't be
bothered with a mediocre performance, no matter how much $$$ was thrown at
the gear used.