[linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Thu Aug 5 12:48:35 EDT 2004

Thanks.  I got modules.conf and modutils/alsa-base looking a little
saner and then tried rebooting.

I ended up with both the alsa and the oss modules loaded.  Does anyone
have any idea why the oss modules are loading?  They certainly aren't
anywhere in either modules.conf or modutils/*.

I still have the depmod errors when I run update-modules, but this
message suggests that those aren't my problem:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/08/msg00039.html>

I'm starting to be good at removing all the sound-related modules.

When I do that, and then run "/etc/init.d/alsa start", here are the
modules I end up with:

snd-emu10k1            75336   1 (autoclean)
snd-pcm-oss            39464   1 (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss          13848   0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-pcm                61124   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss]
snd-timer              14532   0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
snd-hwdep               5248   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
snd-util-mem            1264   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
snd-ac97-codec         55580   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
snd-rawmidi            13504   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
snd-seq-device          4160   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]
snd                    33508   0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hwdep snd-util-mem snd-ac97-codec snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3940   6 (autoclean) [snd]

Does this look right?  soundcore has the same name as an oss driver, I
think.  Is there any chance I'm loading the wrong one?

When I run timidity on a MIDI file, either from my own account or from
root, it looks like it thinks it's playing, and I get no error
messages as a user.  I have unplugged a usb device and removed its
module, and this gets rid of the messages about sharing IRQ's that
were showing up in /var/log/messages, so there are now no error
messages anywhere that I know about.

Is LINUX going overboard trying to look like windows?  It used to be
you could find log files with error messages when something didn't
work.  Not that you could always understand the error messages, but
they gave you somewhere to start with google or a mailing list like
this.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011