[linux-audio-user] MusE Race Condition

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 12:17:31 EDT 2004

Hi Robert (with note to Christian Henz),

Thanks for your reply here, also, and for the suggestion.  I also have
the Radeon 9200.

I just went out and got the latest fglrx driver --- just before seeing
this message in fact.  I was previously using the Radeon drv.  Previously
I was a little apprehensive and worried about using fglrx and had put
it off (since January!) but decided that perhaps a change in the DRI
module might be an improvement.  So I was glad to see that you had also
installed these drivers.

fglrxinfo:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200SE DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3 (X4.3.0-3.11.1)        <<<<<--- new one

MusE now will not lock memory under any circumstances I have tried, even
with your suggestion of limiting the VideoRam.

WARNING: Cannot lock memory:: Cannot allocate memory
WARNING: Cannot lock memory:: Cannot allocate memory
midi thread 1652 _NOT_ running SCHED_FIFO

qjackctl still locks up the system, even with your suggestion of limited
VideoRam.  With ulimit -l 128000 or anything else qjackctl works just
fine.  MusE won't lock memory with either unlimited or 128000.

So, I would conclude that IF MusE would be allowed to lock memory, it
would lock my system up just as qjackctl does when ulimit -l is unlimited.
I'm not sure how much I really want to pursue this.  Linux isn't a real-time
O/S, so trying to make it act like one is probably doomed --- at the
very least, it's complicated.

(Note to Christian: I've seen postings with troubles with 2.4 as well, so
it's not just 2.6.  The postings I saw were with respect to other programs,
but still memory locking stuff.)

Thanks again and best regards,
Dave.