[linux-audio-user] Re: [ANN] jamin-0.9.0 release

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Mon Aug 9 20:15:52 EDT 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 07:32 pm, Alastair Couper wrote:
> While we're on the subject, could anyone point to a tutorial or something
> similar that covers mastering? Big subject, I know, but I am wanting to
> know more about it. Does anyone have some Jamin presets that they could
> share ?

Every job has different requirements, but mastering is largely dependant on
how the mix was done. I used to mix to the monitors and nobody was ever really
happy until they put it in the car stereo, walkman, and home stereo, but a
lot of people mix to the clients taste, which more often than not requires
extensive tonal modification to sound good across different systems.

> Seems like there is a big concern in some genre that one's recording
> sounds "as loud as" anyone else's. Leads to a bit heavy handed
> compression, I think. Beyond allowances for various redistribution EQ
> types, what is being achieved ?

Not sure what context you're referring to but AFAICT, jamin has 3 compressors
being fed from tuneable bandpass filters then a limiter at the end of the
chain. This allows you to use different compression settings in three bands
and then knock off any overages.

The EQ section is especially sweet (in terms of function, I'll reserve
judgement about the sonic flavor for now), but I'm not sure if the parametric
EQ is pre/post or additive to the 30 band graphic EQ