[linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs and other things

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Tue Aug 10 06:01:10 EDT 2004

Most of the linux machines around here are currently redhat or fedora, so most of what I have to say is related to these.

It seems that every time I install something I have to look in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to be sure it didn't install something I didn't want there.  It's one thing that just because I asked the install program at insatllation that I wanted everything installed;  but it's another that I _don't_ want all of those daemons running.  I just want the programs installed, I'll decide when they'll run :)

This brings me to the cron stuff.

Files and directories to watch out for/modify in /etc:

crontab  cron.d/  cron.hourly/  cron.daily/  cron.weekly/  cron.monthly/

These places sure can be full of extra garbage if not cleaned up after an install.

I don't see any pressing need to have anything run from cron.hourly on the machines around here;  so I have nothing running there.  Same with cron.weekly and cron.monthly.

Once a day starting at 7AM when I can't possibly be awake, the cron jobs happen in the order that I want them to sight unseen.

Most of the startup times(or whether things start at all) can be set up in the crontab file.  Sometimes I modify the contents of the above directories to suite my needs instead.  The only other thing I look out for are things in the cron.d/ like sysstat, which I also tweak the times on if I leave it on at all.

Tracey.