[linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs and other things

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 08:34:22 EDT 2004

Tracey Hytry wrote:

>Most of the linux machines around here are currently redhat or fedora, so most of what I have to say is related to these.
>
>It seems that every time I install something I have to look in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to be sure it didn't install something I didn't want there.  It's one thing that just because I asked the install program at insatllation that I wanted everything installed;  but it's another that I _don't_ want all of those daemons running.  I just want the programs installed, I'll decide when they'll run :)
>
>This brings me to the cron stuff.
>
>Files and directories to watch out for/modify in /etc:
>
>crontab  cron.d/  cron.hourly/  cron.daily/  cron.weekly/  cron.monthly/
>
>These places sure can be full of extra garbage if not cleaned up after an install.
>
>I don't see any pressing need to have anything run from cron.hourly on the machines around here;  so I have nothing running there.  Same with cron.weekly and cron.monthly.
>
>Once a day starting at 7AM when I can't possibly be awake, the cron jobs happen in the order that I want them to sight unseen.
>
>Most of the startup times(or whether things start at all) can be set up in the crontab file.  Sometimes I modify the contents of the above directories to suite my needs instead.  The only other thing I look out for are things in the cron.d/ like sysstat, which I also tweak the times on if I leave it on at all.
>
>Tracey.

    That is also what I noticed (having unnecessary stuff running),
since when I do a install I check the "everything" button. So I looked
at my cron logs to see what was actually being run, and then went
through my cron files and wrote down what was in there, then googled
around to see what I needed and what I didn't and then removed what I
didn't (sysstat, news service stuff). I left diskcheck as it is usefull
to know how much space I have left on my disks.

                Rick B