Voluntary scheduler for mdk, was Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Thu Aug 12 12:02:52 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 08:43, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> torsdagen den 12 augusti 2004 17.11 skrev Russell Hanaghan:

> > > I've been thinking that: I'm glad somebody else said it :-)
> > >
> > > The windows manager and desktop is only user-land code and if jack and
> > > the sound drivers are all running at higher priority all that should
> > > happen while you've got audio apps running is either(a) no difference or
> > > (b) the desktop becomes a little less responsive, depending on the
> > > overall CPU and disk workload.
> > >
> > > For what it's worth I'm running standard Gnome on kernel 2.6.6. I don't
> > > do any heavyweight audio though. arecord records 16/44.1 stereo fine.

> > Does anyone know if a package for this kernel has been done for Mandrake
> > 10.0?
>
> None that I know of.
>
> Asking this guy might be an idea, perhaps he can include it:
> http://mandrake.contactel.cz/people/svetljo/mandrake/kernel/

Yup...I suspect so. Thac has stopped compiling his own kernels and is
linked to these. So they would be what I'm using right now. 2.6.7-1-35
seems ok and has alsa 1.06 built in but is still kinda "xrunny" :) I
don;t know how these different types of scheduling etc, stack up but
what I'm reading about the voluntary preemption is sounding promising.

Can anyone give a very _brief_ comparison between these methods? I wan't
also to run as user and not root. Why...'Cause I break $__t! :)

R~