[linux-audio-user] home audio server

Edward Barrow edward at copyweb.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 02:58:53 EDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 23:48, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Edward Barrow wrote:

> > I have the same aim as a personal project - I just built the box, now I'm
> > getting it to work. I think the best bet is gjukebox
> > (gjukebox.sourceforge.net) which does just this but I haven't been able
> > to get it it to handle ogg files properly yet and somehow I just broke it
> > for mp3s as well. Another possibility is netjuke, which is setup for
> > streaming but should be able to do local playback (though it's not
> > obvious what has to
>
>    what's this obsession with local playback? just stream it to the same
> machine you have local playback.

yes, yes, all perfectly achievable with a little bit of poking around config
files probably. The existing streaming systems are conceived for a slightly
different set of circumstances - in which the machine running the controlling
browser is the same as the one where the playback happens. I want the remote
machine (a wireless handheld) to control  playback on the server.
If this were the only issue, I'd certainly use one of the existing systems
rather than writing another - but the user interfaces seem all wrong to me.

Edward Barrow