[linux-audio-user] home audio server

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Fri Aug 13 08:38:02 EDT 2004

Edward Barrow wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2004 23:48, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>Edward Barrow wrote:
>

>>>I have the same aim as a personal project - I just built the box, now I'm
>>>getting it to work. I think the best bet is gjukebox
>>>(gjukebox.sourceforge.net) which does just this but I haven't been able
>>>to get it it to handle ogg files properly yet and somehow I just broke it
>>>for mp3s as well. Another possibility is netjuke, which is setup for
>>>streaming but should be able to do local playback (though it's not
>>>obvious what has to
>>
>>   what's this obsession with local playback? just stream it to the same
>>machine you have local playback.
>

> yes, yes, all perfectly achievable with a little bit of poking around config
> files probably. The existing streaming systems are conceived for a slightly
> different set of circumstances - in which the machine running the controlling
> browser is the same as the one where the playback happens. I want the remote
> machine (a wireless handheld) to control  playback on the server.
> If this were the only issue, I'd certainly use one of the existing systems
> rather than writing another - but the user interfaces seem all wrong to me.

   first you complain there is no local playback and now you say that
all of them assume that playback would be local?

   wireless handheld is a computer where you want interface to be
displayed or a remote control of some sort?

   if it's a computer than you could simply run some player (like
freeamp or xmms etc.) on server and display it on the wireless handheld
(or use vnc if you don't want the handlheld to be on all the time server
is playing and/or control it from number of locations).

   on the other hand, if you want to use a web based jukebox they all
seem to suck (I tried number of them, pretty much all that are in debian
and few others), that was about a year ago though... but at least some
of them do play stream anywhere (e.g. on the server itself, which is
what I think you want) and let you control what is being played via web
interface, some of them with rating system that determines probability
of a song being played (more popular songs are plaeyd more often) etc.

	erik