[linux-audio-user] sounblaster live platinum and full-duplex recording (noisy)

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sat Aug 14 00:05:46 EDT 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 11:30 pm, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    recording seems to be working OK but:
>
>    in audacity when I record the track it sounds OK
>
>    however if I generate click track and record then (the click track is
> playing while I am recording) the recording is really bad (noisy, low
> quality).
>
>    I vaguely remember something about full-duplex on sounblaster not
> being very good, i.e. there's something wrong when using it but don't
> remember what (bitrate being forced to be very low or something along
> those lines).

Which soundblaster?  The "original" ISA soundblasters were like that, and the
"soundblaster PCI" cards with the ens1371 chipset have asymmetric sample
rates for playback/capture, but I can overdub with my SBLive platinum and it
sounds normal.

>    However I can't find any information on that subject now (I tried
> google and creative site), does anybody know details and/or have some
> pointers to relevant docs?
>
>    system: debian unstable, 2.6.5 kenrel (with alsa), sounblaster live
> platinum (with live drive).

How do you have the mixer set up?
Which input are you recording from?
What mixer app are you using?