[linux-audio-user] sounblaster live platinum and full-duplex recording (noisy)

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon Aug 16 02:33:45 EDT 2004

John Check wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2004 11:30 pm, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>   recording seems to be working OK but:
>>
>>   in audacity when I record the track it sounds OK
>>
>>   however if I generate click track and record then (the click track is
>>playing while I am recording) the recording is really bad (noisy, low
>>quality).
>>
>>   I vaguely remember something about full-duplex on sounblaster not
>>being very good, i.e. there's something wrong when using it but don't
>>remember what (bitrate being forced to be very low or something along
>>those lines).
>

> Which soundblaster?  The "original" ISA soundblasters were like that, and the
> "soundblaster PCI" cards with the ens1371 chipset have asymmetric sample
> rates for playback/capture, but I can overdub with my SBLive platinum and it
> sounds normal.

   I don't remember what I read exactly (and google didn't help) and
which card exactly it applied to. I have soundblaster live! platinum
(with live drive). What software do you use? Anything specific that I
need to set?

>>   However I can't find any information on that subject now (I tried
>>google and creative site), does anybody know details and/or have some
>>pointers to relevant docs?
>>
>>   system: debian unstable, 2.6.5 kenrel (with alsa), sounblaster live
>>platinum (with live drive).
>
> How do you have the mixer set up?
> Which input are you recording from?
> What mixer app are you using?

   Line LiveDrive, Line LiveDrive Capture,
   Line2 LiveDrive 1, Line2 LiveDrive Capture 1

   are all the way up, guitar pod (line6) is connected to two rca
connectors on the live drive. However I was recording mono only (in
audacity) so I guess only one of them was recorded.

   when recording only (no playback at the same time) the recording is
OK, when I play click track at the same time the recording is very bad.

   I was recording at 44kHz, thought that might be a problem so I
switched to 48kHz but then there's no full-duplex at all (i.e. the
already recorded stuff does not play when I record).

   is this a problem of my setup or audacity? (I can't get muse working,
it hangs whenever (trace reveals it's reading from some pipe) I try to
save (which is required to create audio track)). Any other simple
recording programs (that would make it possible to play the previously
recorded audio (aka full-duplex aka overdubbing)?

	erik