[linux-audio-user] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines

Pete Bessman ninjadroid at gazuga.net
Sat Aug 21 07:48:34 EDT 2004

At Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:30:59 -0400,
Lee Revell wrote:

> What is really needed is a set of human interface guidelines for Linux
> audio apps.  Better to do this now, while much of the code is not
> mature, than later, and have a bunch of different apps which work,
> except that the widgets work completely different from one app to
> another for no good reason other than that person A felt like doing it
> like this and person B like that.  You can talk about freedom all you
> want but the users do not care about this kind of thing, it just looks
> like the left hand is not talking to the right.  Professional users
> (rightfully) demand a consistent interface, unless there is a good
> reason (extra functionality) not to provide one.

I definitely agree.  One of the main reasons PHAT was created was
to encourage standard behavior across apps.  I don't think folks
are terribly interested in actually getting this done, but it's
Really Important.

I'm all ears.

--Pete

<http://www.gazuga.net>

"Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic!" --Tom Venuto