[linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Human Interface Guidelines 0.01 (was Re: mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines)

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Aug 24 15:10:32 EDT 2004

I just realized I posted this to LAD but not LAU.  Since the whole point
of HIGs is to be reflect user rather than developer needs, I am
reposting it here.

OK, so if I were to start writing the Linux Audio Human Interface
Guidelines based on all of the feedback from this post, I would say
something like the following.  I have used the type of language you
would find in an Internet RFC.

"Sliders MUST be operable with the mouse wheel.  This MUST only be
enabled when mousing over a slider, otherwise, the mouse wheel MUST
retain its normal behavior of scrolling the window.

For a vertical slider, rolling the mouse button away from you
(hereafter: wheel-up event) MUST increase the value of the parameter,
and wheel-down MUST decrease the value.

For a horizontal slider, wheel-up SHOULD increase the value, and
wheel-down SHOULD decrease the value by default.  However, this behavior
MUST be configurable.  If a system-wide facility to control
this is unavailable then the app MUST provide a configuration
mechanism."

Additional submissions are welcome and in fact essential, since the
above only covers one aspect of one widget's behavior.

Lee