[linux-audio-user] Re: Linux Audio Human Interface Guidelines 0.01

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Aug 25 09:22:16 EDT 2004

> For a horizontal slider, wheel-up SHOULD increase the value, and
> wheel-down SHOULD decrease the value by default.  However, this behavior
> MUST be configurable.  If a system-wide facility to control
> this is unavailable then the app MUST provide a configuration
> mechanism."<-

I see things like this:
1. The wheel/slider mapping must be the same system-wide
2. Wheel-up should increase, wheel-down should decrease.
I would write "must" here, if it wasn't for the problem
with point 1. I wrote to the GTK list, but nobody seems
to care.
I don't think this should be configurable, because it has
been shown that the proposed behaviour makes more sense.
If we introduce options for things like this, we will end
up in configurability hell.

So it should be about making the GTK and QT folks see the
light, or only using fan-sliders which are different enough
to behave differently.

---
Thorsten Wilms