[linux-audio-user] sound card linux documentation wiki+forum site [WAS: Linux audio hardwarem arket research [was: creating a wiki "soundcard experiences" site]]

MarC marc_contrib at ramonvinyes.es
Wed Dec 1 03:23:02 EST 2004

En/na Ruth A. Kramer ha escrit:

>MarC wrote:
>

>>and we could sum up all the conclusions at the wiki:
>>http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LA_LinuxAudio
>>(a list of all soundcards, and a site for each soundcard)
>>Thanks Randy!
>>

>You're welcome!
>
>For information / consistency, what you are calling a site (I believe)
>is what TWiki refers to as a topic, but I prefer to use the term page,
>as a TWiki topic is a single web page.

I totally agree. When I write in English, I do this kind of mistakes
(I'm not native...) Sorry.

>>I've started creating one site for my card, the Creative Labs Sound
>>Blaster Audigy OEM,
>>http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LA_SoundBlasterAudigy
>>

>Good, I've made a few changes / comments as well.  Will probably make
>more.

Yes. I've seen them. Great.

>>by the way, Randy, could you change the name of it (adapt it to
>>CreativeLabsSoundBlasterAudgy OEM)??
>>

>I did forget that Sound Blasters are made by Creative Labs, and I did
>suggest that the page names be <manufacturer><card name>, but I'm going
>to hesitate a little while before making another name change.  Your use
>of Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audgy OEM as the page title is a good
>thing, but page names often are more useful if shorter, so I may keep
>the page name as is (LA_SoundBlasterAudigy) until things shake out a
>little.  (Of course, you can change the name yourself, but I'd suggest
>we wait a little while.)

Yes, but I suggest creating a way to link them without specifying their
real name directly...
Otherway, some crossed links which I have already created will be broken
as soon as we change the name of the page...
(see LA_SoundFonts for example)

>>how about creating sites for the RME supported cards? XD
>>same for usb cards, firewire cards...
>>That could be a way to see the *real* linux support of your card, by
>>reading experiences of other people and how they work everyday.
>>

>Anybody (who is registered ;-) can start a page on WikiLearn.  If
>someone needs help, let me know.  For now I've set up a prefix of "LA_"
>to segregate the Linux Audio pages, I wonder if simply prefixing them
>with "Aud_" or "Audio" would be more clear?

Yes. I also find you should explain how to create a new page fast. It's
easy but if you write it down (or put some links to do it), it will save
some time to contributors.