[linux-audio-user] Gnome Wave Cleaner, muffled to normal?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Dec 1 16:20:51 EST 2004

On 1 December 2004 at 2:59, ed orphan <millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA> wrote:

> ... There is one area of a song that's muffled and I can't see
> any way to bring back the "brighness" to match the rest of the
> song....
>
>    Does anyone have any ideas how to return the brighness to
> a muffled section of a song?  Would something like Audacity
> help? I've no experience with sound editors, so any information
> would be very welcome.

If the brightness was not in the file before "cleaning" it, then
restoring it is a dubious prospect in that boosting the highs will
primarily boost the noise (hiss in this case).  If the muffling
occurred as a result of cleaning, then changing the cleaning method
seems in order.  You could try to splice or mix in an uncleaned chunk
of the original to the spot where the muffling occurs in the cleaned
version.  That's a bit of work, and might be hard to pull off w/o
having that area of the recording seem a bit abrupt on playback.

HTH....

--
Kevin