[linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Thu Dec 2 02:45:59 EST 2004

Machine Has No Agenda wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 16:06, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>

>>The fact that you can get it to run as root but not as mortal user
>>tells
>>us something I guess. When I was going thru my VST nightmares, I could
>>not get it to run at all...and I was about to jump from the proverbial
>>cliff ! Then Dave Phillips took pity on my feeble, whimpering self...a
>>mere shell of a former true man of persistance... :)
>>

>... the reward of patience is patience itself i guess ... especially
>when it comes to waiting for salvation :)
>

>>I don;t know what your specific problem is...but, here's what we do
>>know;
>>
>>-Any vst-in-linux app is heavily reliant on the version of Wine. But
>>we
>>know for a fact that 20040505 is a working version. It works on my MDK
>>box, and Mark has it working, as do several others here.
>>

>yes, that's why i chose that specific version - i'd tried keinjo's (?)
>recommended one for vst_server, but i ran into some problems with that
>version of wine, as i recall ...
>

>>-Crystal is one of the definate .dll's that does work of the vst's.
>>

>ditto with crystal - i'm just using it to test the actual functionality
>of jack_fst - i'd never really used in windows, but for the brief time
>that i played with it as the root-god, i really liked the sound ...
>

>> So does HyperCanvas 1.02. (Not sure if thats what you ultimatley want
>>running here?)
>>

>ultimately, steinberg's groove agent ... not sure if that would happen,
>though... it's a great plugin though - so much more reliable and
>flexible than a real drummer :) hahahah (just joking, my stick-wielding
>friends) ...

Ok. YOu may jump thru the motions...lose hours of your life ...grow old
and grey solving your vst issues only to find that vst don't work! Not
all vst's do . I'm sure your already aware...

Check here for good measure...  http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/

>>- that on your box,  something available as a service or thread to
>>root
>>allowing it to run is not available to user...
>>

>this is what i'm thinking .
>

>>What do you mean when you say "btw - i'm starting jack as normal user
>>..." ? Is this when you try to run fst as user too?
>>

>yes - i meant to say that i'm starting both applications as the same
>user, whether as root or user (just to rule out any issues that may have
>been associated with starting the two apps as different users)
>

>>Did you do a Winblows install of the vst application? If so, did you
>>do
>>it as root and not user? I know a full Win install is not needed with
>>for Crystal...but is for Hypercanvas I think.
>>

>i just unzipped Crystal.dll from the zip file, copied it to
>/home/mrmachine/c/ProgramFiles/vst/Crystal.dll - did this as user
>

>>What kernel are you using now?
>>

>kernel#2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma
>
>probly something to do with this, i reckon ... but i would hardly know
>:(

Hmm...I'm not familiar with what 2.6 voodoo the CCRMA kernel is using. I
don;t think it's realtime-lsm though. I think it's Ingo's patches? Maybe
the realtime threads or some such thing are causing a problem...

Any other CCRMA succesful vst users??

R~