[linux-audio-user] Mastering deck mix

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Dec 2 16:24:17 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 13:40, Ben Edwards (lists) wrote:
> I am helping at a Community Centre in Bristol, UK which is using Free
> Software for everything (http://3ca.org.uk).  Last weekend I
> successfully managed to record 3.5 hours of live music using Adacity and
> create a .ogg.  I have never done anything like this before and am not a
> sound engineer or musician.  I am particularly impressed because I only
> started looking for the software 3 hours before the doors opened.
>
> Anyway this has sent me on a mad journey this week which has involved
> building ardour/jack and jamin from source. I've never built anything
> from source before.  I am going to attempt to record another gig in a
> couple of weeks using this combination. Anyway...
>
> Firstly was wondering if there are any introduction texts for audio
> mixing/mastering on the web anywhare, not nesseseraly related to this
> software as I am a total beginner and want to understand the basics.

Here's a good one:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/bobkatz.pdf

Here's another good one on why louder is not always better:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

Then there's Ron Parker's response to Rip Rowan (above link):

http://jamin.sourceforge.net/Loudness/loudness.html

There's a ton of stuff out there.  Just google for audio mastering.

> Secondly was wondering if there was any way of using audacity/jamin
> together.  Idealy I want to use ardour/jamin but audacity is a lot
> simpler and is a good fallback.

Not until Audacity becomes JACK enabled.

Jan