[linux-audio-user] music made with linux

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 19:02:29 EST 2004

Hi,

Be careful what you wish for! In response to Dave's
suggestion that we focus on music, I'm posting one of
my songs. My server is complete crap. If you
experience download problems, you'll have to be
patient. Of course anyone is free to load the song
onto another server.

Marek, I am tempted to rerecord the vocal track just
for you. But I won't, so, you'll need to replace every
instance of MP3 with RME. Of course I love RME and
you'll hear why I wouldn't do that. Not even for you.
:)

DISCLAIMER
song contains adult language. if this offends thee,
please don't download it.

Background Info
This song, mp3dotcom, is from a set of around 20. My
order for the band was to write and record the music
for two albums in one session and that each song must
be a different style of music. We did not record any
previously written ideas.

I hired my studio partner Bill Bailey to produce and
engineer the album. We designed an itenerary that
started the recording session with drums. We worked
with the drummer for about an hour to warm him up,
judge his capabilities and get tones. About every hour
there after we added the next logical instrument;
bass, guitar, keyboard, second guitar, percussion,
second bass, etc until we reached the finale where
everyone achieved euphoric stupidity. There were about
a dozen players involved. Everyone had a specific time
that they were expected to arrive and we asked them to
not show up early. Think of it as mahem by design.
Everyone involved agreed that it was the most fun they
ever had in a studio.

After 18 hours we had enough music for two albums and
we began writing lyrics and producing vocals. It took
about four sessions to complete the vocal tracks and a
couple more to mix 11 or 12 of the songs.

Production Details
The music was orginally recorded to 16bit blackface
ADAT. A couple years ago I transfered the multitracks
to Ardour for remixing. I mastered this song today
using Ardour and JAMin.

There were transient spikes on the snare hits that
caused distortion and a short loss of audio
immediately following many of the snare hits. I put
the TAP limiter post fader to hold the spikes down by
-5db or there abouts which corrected that problem.

Total mix and master time for this song is definitely
less than 60 minutes.

I've never released this album although half the songs
ended up in an indie film that starred one of the
Saturday Nite Live writers. The movie was titled Jack
Halloween. I appreciate bad movies as much as anyone
but this movie sucked so bad I couldn't even watch it.
After agreeing to let the producers, City Lights Media
of NYC, "use my crappy songs in your no budget movie"
i informed them that they had thrown their money in
the toilet and that the movie wasnt' worthy of releas.
They agreed about the quality of the movie and I don't
think it ever saw the light of day.

I guess this album is about four years old and it's
time to start releasing it one song at a time. One of
the bass players was murdered in a domestic assault,
and the flute player died of a herione overdose. The
rest of us are just getting older, fatter and losing
our teeth. Damned it all!

After much TODO:
http://www.multitrack.us/~parker/music/mp3dotcom.ogg

Long live The Who,