[linux-audio-user] Re: Preach it! (late response)

jonathan segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Sat Dec 4 10:59:50 EST 2004

Hi, sorry i am so late in responding to queries about my original 2
cents of OS usage and all, apparently there was a power outage back in
Oakland (i'm in germany right now) and my office computer rebooted and
collected my mail for a day! that took some ssh work to get it back
here!
anyway:

 >> first off, i use os x more than i use linux. this is because i carry
 >> powerbook on tour with me and perform with it every night. when i
can i
 >> also carry my sharp/planet-ccrma laptop

 >How do you transfer data between the different platforms?
 >i.e.: projects from Rosegarden to ... (your Mac sequencer), or audio
 >tracks between Ardour and ... (corresponding Mac thing), etc.

 >The common denominator would be:
 >- plain MIDI files for MIDI information
 >- WAV files for audio tracks
 >But i'm curious what is your way to deal with this issue.

exactly, that is what i do, and smb file transfer within the house.
and yes, if your start times for multiple files are the same.
what about OMF transfer? can Ardour open an OMF file?

///

 >Hmm... I wonder if Tape Op (a great FREE magazine http://tapeop.com/ )
 >would accept articles about linux.

in fact, Larry Crane is a friend of mine. I recently did interviews for
Tape Op, wherein i definitely mention using Linux. i think an article
for them would be great, and they would probably print it. we could try
a letter first, they print a lot of them. also i just turned in an
interview for http://www.bbspot.com/  about music, and what systems i
use...