[linux-audio-user] Piping multiple text documents into Audio

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 07:48:16 EST 2004

Last Monday 06 December 2004 08:26, mark at kfm.co.za was like:
> I have a lot of text documents that I wish to output into speech
> audio. Firstly I wanted to know if there is any software that would
> allow one to do this. This could be likened to an educational tool
> of sorts that reads a file.

flite? - I haven't found a way to make it work with Jackd yet. flite is a
_very_ basic speech renderer, there are other engines available.

> Secondly I was hoping to change the output of audio by the
> actual content of the text/html page. The actual reading of text
> would be at quite a speed (not necessarily comprehendible) but
> in essence the content itself would create the music - according
> to an adjustable tempo/spec? Maybe each letter could represent
> a music note?
>
> I am not sure if this makes sense

TBH: No it doesn't. Could you explain a bit more?
It may be worth looking at CSS2 rules
file:///usr/share/doc/w3-recs/RECS/css2/aural.html but I don't know if this
is what you're looking for. If anyone listening to this would care to point
to a good explanation of how speech renderers work under Linux, I'd love to
get savvy.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk