[linux-audio-user] Multiple sound cards

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 8 16:30:37 EST 2004

Hi,

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 22:04, Pam & Harold Norris wrote:
> I'm not really new to either linux (4 -5 years) or linux audio (2-3
> years) BUT I am new to getting more than one sound card to function at
> the same time.  I'm trying to get a linux based sound system (recording
> only) up and running for our church.  They currently have an 8 channel
> mixer/amp and I would like to record8 analog channels in real-time.  It
> seems everything I have tried doen't work.
> Here's the situation:  I have alsa v 1.07 drivers, etc installed on a
> 2.4.25 kernel with the low-latency patch  I have downloaded Jack v 0.99
> and installed it.  In conjunction with Ardour I can get either, BUT NOT
> BOTH sound cards to record/play.

Short summary from the various mails on this list and from alsa-project.org:
It is possible via an .asoundrc but you wont get it to work with jack without
xruns. xruns are when one soundcard needs its new data (for playback) before
the other card. It happens because your soundcards won't run with _exactly_
the same frequency altough all clame to to 44.1kHz/48kHz.

There was a thread here (or on linux-audio-developer@?) where one disconnected
the quartzes from the second and third soundcard and connected them with the
one from the first soundcard. Another approach is syncing the cards via an
external digital sound signal (not timecode)...

> Any ideas?  I have even explored the 8 channel sound cards but I just
> know the church can't afford $500.

I know your poblem, I just ordered for 400EUR for our church and had to ask
the elder for permission...

God bless you,

Arnold
--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe