[linux-audio-user] the Linux soundapps pages redux

Hans Fugal fugalh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:19:03 EST 2004

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:22:42 -0500, Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net> wrote:

> Do wikis present any particular problems for servers hosting them ? I
> ask because I don't own the servers that host the soundapps sites, and I
> certainly would not want to risk losing the good will of the providers.
> For those of you who don't know, Matt Probst maintains the US server,
> the folks at ATNET in Austria host the European site, and Kenji Yasaka
> provides the Japanese mirror. They have all donated the server space,
> bless their heads, and I want to be sure I don't screw with their security.

Wikis in general don't pose any problems. Depending on implementation
there may be a slight increase in cpu cycles consumed. Instiki, the
wiki implementation I'm using, only has one dependency: ruby. It runs
on its own port and can run as any user at all, so security should be
a minor issue. I'm not sure whether it will run as a module or CGI
under apache but I can imagine some might prefer that.

Like has been discussed elsewhere, you would want to have static
mirrors everywhere but the master location where all the edits happen.
So finding one person willing to install ruby and allow instiki to run
is the only requirement.

--
De gustibus non disputandum est.