[linux-audio-user] Portaudio...

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 04:47:16 EST 2004

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:36:09 -0800, Russell Hanaghan
<hanaghan at starband.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have portaudio functioning on their Linux box and if so, can
> you give a brief overview of how and what is required?
>
> eg: I read it will co-exist and work with alsa?  Does that mean it
> co-operates with jack and can be run from the Qjackctl app?  Latency
> issues? is it robust?

Both Audacity and ReZound require portaudio (though ReZouhnd has a
native JACK driver). Does it work on ALSA for you? It works for me :)
I never tried Audacity with JACK. Don't really know why, but I
haven't.

In order to have Audacity up and running with ALSA/JACK you need
PortAudio v19. You can either have PortAudio already installed in your
system or just use the version which is distributed with Audacity
source code.

You need to explicitely  say "--with-portaudio=v19" to your ./configure script.

Alexandre