[linux-audio-user] FM7 ?

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Sun Dec 12 23:20:09 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 12:36, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
> > Brad Fuller wrote:
> >
> >> For that matter, is anyone running Reaktor, Kontakt or Absynth under
> >> Linux? I'd love to get these working, but I don't know how. I can't
> >> even get Sonar working under wine.
> >

> > I would not be despondent about "Not getting Sonar to work under
> > Wine". There were reports of like Cakewalk 9 working under wine. This
> > is comparable to the HAL 2000 on Space Odesy 2001!! I don't think
> > anyone has reported on Winhq about Sonar ever working. I too have
> > attempted installing on known working versions of Wine that run vst's.
> > I think the dxi and WDM driver stuff is one of the biggest problems.
> >
> > I think the vst page over there on Dave's site reports someone getting
> > Kontakt and/ or Reaktor working??
>
> On another note, I did get Tracktion to install and run. But, I don't
> know how to get sound out of it.
> BTW: Tracktion is free right now from the Mackie site.
>
> brad

i've got absynth, vokator, b4, pro-52 working on the latest version of
wine with jack_fst (unfortunately i have to enable "no memory lock" in
qjackctl to get any to work).

fm7.dll segfaults but the fm7.exe launches with no output available (i
do remember being able to get sound out of the standalone at one stage,
but maybe with different version of wine, and not very useful, cos you
could only use the on-screen keyboard).

i have been able to get the xpress keyboards version of fm7 working
(along with the b4, pro-53 versions), albeit without being able to
change any of the settings from the gui (so stuck with the default
preset).

absynth works beautifully, such a great sounding synth to have access to
on linux ... also, you should make sure you have "Managed" = "N" in your
wine config, otherwise it's impossible to enter serial codes ...

ps - i've got a whole bunch of other vsti's working (i'll head on over
to the vst compatibility page soon), such as plasticz, slayer2, t-racks
plugin suite, edirol superquartet and orchestral, grm classic bundle etc

shayne