[linux-audio-user] HDSPmixer problem

Kevin Ernste kevinernste at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 11:22:27 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:33:39 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    Family member with the HDSP 9652 using the same kernel but using
> Planet Alsa support. Possibly your RPMs might have something to do
> with this?

I forgot to mention, I was seeing this behaviour using 1.06cvs from
Planet which is why I upgraded to 1.07, to see if it would make a
difference.  The RPM's built smoothly, though it's certainly very
possible I missed something ;)

> To me this sounds like a firmware revision issue. Check with other
> MultiFace users as to which revision they are using.

That was my first thought.  There are lots of references to firmware
issues on this list and elsewhere, I'll double-check on the version
and see if anyone is using it successfully.

Again for anyone with a multiface:

/proc/pci (says "rev 11"):

Bus  2, device  13, function  0:
Class 0401: PCI device 10ee:3fc5 (rev 11).
IRQ 5.
Master Capable.  Latency=255.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec800000 [0xec80ffff].

/sbin/lspci (says "rev 0b"):

02:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall
DSP (rev 0b)

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:54:06 -0500, Kevin Ernste <kevinernste at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello -
> >
> > I just installed a new HDSP multiface with PCI on a PlanetCCRMA/FC3
> > box, kernel 2.6.8.1-1.520.2vS7.ll, ALSA 1.07 (homemade rpms) and am
> > not seeing any output levels on HDSPmixer (bottom row) despite
> > actually hearing the signal I expect (sounds great).
> >
> > Modules/firmware load beautifully, I can route signal with HDSPmixer
> > as expected, adjust levels, etc, just no visual feedback from the
> > outputs row either with vu levels or changing peak values.
>
> Seems a bit strange. Default operation on my copy is that the
> input/top row routes nowhere, so for input audio I have to select
> where you want it to go and bring the level up before I see anything
> in the bottom row. Note that if you choose a route but do not bring
> the level up on the top row then the next time you look it's not
> selected.

Right.  In my test I was playing a stereo soundfile internally (levels
come up on middle row 1 and 2)  then choosing "AN 1+2" for both
channels, bringing up the sends, etc.  I can hear the level as I raise
the stick, just no vu display on AN 1+2' (bottom row).  Routing to
other spots like "Analog" does the same thing.  You can hear it
perfectly, just no output levels.

Plugging a Mic in on analog in1 shows levels as well in the top row,
and raising the level for headphones one can hear the Mic signal, but
again no visible meters on output.

> I see the yellow peak about 1/4" above the top of the green VU moving
> as the audio does.

That's what I thought it should be doing.  For example, playing a
steady -20 dB test tone from PD shows correct levels in green (middle
row), but the yellow peaks appear only intermittently, every few
seconds, and after appearing they fall gradually down as if there were
no signal in the channel any more.

I'll try it out again on a Windows box and see if something's up with
the card itself.

Kevin