[linux-audio-user] RE: Tracktion

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Thu Dec 16 14:52:23 EST 2004

>This is being offered gratis till the end of december by Mackie. This one
might just be coaxed into running under Wine which would be quite an
achievement.

>Kudos: 1. The program, though free, needs be registered to a "machine
number". Did this under Windows, did not get that far using Wine. Might need
a second copy just for the Linux runs.

>2. The program searches for all its own VST dlls and any on the VST
directory. Might have problems doing this in Wine. Some VST demos bring up an
error box saying please register, limited trial, etc. Such things may be
disruptive in Wine. (Other VST hosts let you manually find them when you want
them, avoiding this problem in most cases)

>Anyway, the thing appeared to hang up but I was able to get out. No crash, no
bebug offer. Clean.

The main problem is that any UI pop-up, i.e. to choose files, etc., does not
come up visibly. This is the apparent hangup. Alt-F4 dismisses the invisible
dialog box.

It audio output device is listed as "direct sound" (under Windows, the card's
ASIO drivers would be listed).

But .. one would not get anywhere near this far with Sonar.