[linux-audio-user] RE: Tracktion

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Fri Dec 17 16:13:37 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 06:52, David Baron wrote:
> >This is being offered gratis till the end of december by Mackie. This one
> might just be coaxed into running under Wine which would be quite an
> achievement.
>
> >Kudos: 1. The program, though free, needs be registered to a "machine
> number". Did this under Windows, did not get that far using Wine. Might need
> a second copy just for the Linux runs.

was able to do all this with only the latest version of wine - no
windows partition involved.

> >2. The program searches for all its own VST dlls and any on the VST
> directory. Might have problems doing this in Wine. Some VST demos bring up an
> error box saying please register, limited trial, etc. Such things may be
> disruptive in Wine. (Other VST hosts let you manually find them when you want
> them, avoiding this problem in most cases)
>
> >Anyway, the thing appeared to hang up but I was able to get out. No crash, no
> bebug offer. Clean.

it scanned all the vst plugins in my vst directory (which is in my fake
windows drive) except for one steinberg grm tools one, which crashed it,
but on next boot, it said it had disabled it due to a problem :)   all
the vst's that it successfully scanned are available from within an open
project - and all their gui's display correctly in tracktion ...

> The main problem is that any UI pop-up, i.e. to choose files, etc., does not
> come up visibly. This is the apparent hangup. Alt-F4 dismisses the invisible
> dialog box.

this is not a problem for me - all dialogue boxes work as expected. in
fact,

> It audio output device is listed as "direct sound" (under Windows, the card's
> ASIO drivers would be listed).
>
> But .. one would not get anywhere near this far with Sonar.

everything seems to work EXACTLY as required, except for a working sound
device ... i too get "directsound" listed in the audio setup, but no
sound devices are listed ... i might try messing with the sound settings
in winecfg to see if i can get a wine audio device listed ...

when i was using windows, i used tracktion quite a bit, and was really
impressed by its interface and usability - plus it's got an interesting
approach to layout/structure ...

anyone else want to test this as well, see if they can get it going?

shayne

fedora core 2
kernel 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.11.rhfc2.ccrma
wine 20041201
xfce 4.2rc2
asus a7n8x-x m/b
80 gb western digital caviar h/d