[linux-audio-user] Re: Open Source Hardware

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Fri Dec 17 12:13:43 EST 2004

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> writes:

> The question would be, it this doable with available ucontrollers that
> have open source compiler toolchains?

'Forth' comes to my mind about the 'open source compiler toolchain'.
In my opinion Forth is one of the intelligentest ways to deal with
programmable hardware.

I see different ways Forth could help a lot:
* there could be a Forth system running on the chip
* Forth could be used as a first step to have an open source assembler
  for the chip.

Writing an assembler or a full Forth system for a new microprocessor is one
of the very strong sides of Forth. It might be doable surprisingly easy.
There are Forth programmers (not me ;-) which have done this many times,
and have very good knowledge about different chips too. There are good
chances that there are already open source Forth systems for chips that
could be of interest.

I will ask on newsgroup comp.lang.forth about that.

BTW: I find this discussion very interesting.
     Please keep it on the list :-)

Robert Epprecht