[linux-audio-user] Wavetable cards

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Fri Dec 17 18:45:41 EST 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 04:37 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 16:21 -0500, John Check wrote:
> > I've been pretty happy with what it does but lately the driver has been
> > dropping notes and that's unacceptable. I know it'll get fixed, but it'd
> > be nice if all my eggs weren't in one basket.
>
> Can you reproduce this consistently?  This is a known bug but no one has
> been able to find a good test case.

I'm not doing anything special. It's not out of the realm of possibility I'm
not meshing with the controller keyboards velocity curve, but sometimes
I also hear some phasing like maybe something is firing twice.

> > One of the things about a mature production process is price goes down.
> > It's still a 16 bit card and they sell a 24 bit one for less (of course
> > that one is missing the AC97 mixer section).
>
> Yeah the 24 bit SBLive card is completely different and a POS IMHO.  The

Agreed

> Audigy2 is a 24 bit card that retains the good parts of the SBLive (hw
> mixing, DSP, wavetable).  But it's more expensive.  And the 24/96 is not
> yet supported in Linux (though it should be soon).

Okay, now see, that would have annoyed me because if I was dropping the extra
money I'd probably use 24bit as the justification, and I can get that for
less than the difference in price between the audigy and the SBL..