[linux-audio-user] [ANN] Downloadable Linux Audio Live CD ISO

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Dec 18 15:34:44 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 12:41, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > If I understand you correctly, then udev should be able to
> > solve your problem.
> >
> > "udev allows Linux users to have a dynamic /dev directory
> > and it provides the ability to have persistent device
> > names."
>
> Thanks for the hint. I'm on Gentoo here, and udev gets
> discussed in the list from time to time.
>
> On the other hand, I'm not a great linux guru; I'm proud to
> have successfully configured and built my own kernel matching
> my audio setup; but udev is more difficult because it will
> cause problems, namely with the NVidia drivers I use (and I
> shouldn't use because it's not free software, of course ;-).

    Just went through this at work. You have to copy the nvidia devices
to udev.  After you install the nvidia driver cp /dev/nvidia* to the
udev directory.  If you don't do this and you reboot your video won't
work.  In that case do a modprobe of the nvidia driver and then copy
/dev/nvidia* to udev.  I can't remember the exact locations and commands
but if you google for nvidia and udev you can probably find the
instructions.

Jan