[linux-audio-user] in tune - stupid thread [WAS: Tuning Program or wav files?]

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Mon Dec 20 01:50:59 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 07:05, Michal Seta wrote:
> As it's been pointed out, the 12TET tuning system is incompatible with
> overtone series of a vibrating string so even the Feiten tuning must
> be out of tune.  Probably differently and perhaps the differences are
> actually appealing to some players but still out of tune.

I read an article a while back where listening tests showed that most
people prefer a slightly stretched octave. My guess though is that
they'll prefer a stretched octave where the beating will correspond to
their current brainwave frequency. Which when awake is normally 10 - 16
Hz, IIRC. But that's just a theory right now.

> I hope that some day the digital technology will bring us a just
> intonation guitar that will retune itself depending on which key
> you're playing in :)  But by then, I will probably go back to acoustic
> instruments (providing I'm still alive).  For now, I have modified one
> of my instruments to do just intonation and it's alot of fun.  And I
> don't play tonal music so modulations to different keys are of no
> consequence to me :)

Heh. No matter which way one looks at the whole conundrum, there's a
tradeoff to be made. I have an old nylon-string acoustic that I
unfretted. Playing it isn't too hard, except for some chords. The big
problem is sustain, which is well, what sustain? This fixes the sustain
problem, according to the reviews I've read:

http://www.vigierguitars.com/GCatalog/Gve6f.htm

bye
John