[linux-audio-user] [ANNOUNCE] rtc based MTC generator

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Dec 20 07:44:10 EST 2004

Last Sunday 19 December 2004 18:37, Janina Sajka was like:
> tim hall writes:
> > While we're at it, what's the chance of tuning mains hum up to an
> > actual concert 'A' or even down to a concert 'G' (about 46Hz by my
> > calculations). OK, I know what the realistic answer is, but how many
> > times have you wished that the mains hum was at least IN TUNE! :-)
>
> Many a time here. Frankly, I even consider this discrepency a stress
> contributor on the planet.
>
> I wish we could get the U.S./Japan/etc to come down from 60 and Europe
> to go up from 50 and split the difference at 55 Hz thus bringing the
> planet back in tune.But then 440 isn't that solidly entrenched a
> standard either.

You and I are of one mind on this subject!

No 440 isn't a solidly entrenched standard. If they tune to A446 or whatever,
that'll make Japanese mains hum about A#. I prefer the supposedly
'Pythagorean' tuning of A432, because the maths looks nice (I'm an artist not
a scientist :-). If a second is a natural division of time then it would be
generally more harmonious, surely? If the size of a second is arbitrary (I
don't know) then so is the entire argument. 55Hz would at least give a
'concert' A -3, which as a bassplayer would allow me to tune to my amp.

*laugh*

I would seriously like to see some proper research on the subject as I also
seriously think that the pitch of mains frequency does contribute to stress,
not just in musicians trying to tune their instruments. As such I would argue
for everyone pitching Down rather than Up. Just a thought.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk