[linux-audio-user] Python or Perl for daily audio scripts?

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Dec 21 10:10:48 EST 2004

Christian Frisson wrote:

> As I'm a little picky on filenames aesthetics, my next step is to translate this
> script into another language, in order to be able to parse HTML files to get
> proper filenames included therein. I've been hesitating between Perl and Python
> (as Frank Barknecht advised me before), because both are multi-platform and can
> handle audio files, as required for the final project. Which one would best
> suit? I've been programming easy student software in C/C++, if it can help.

Hooboy... the subject of many holy wars, is Perl vs Python.  While my
experience is with Perl only, to me, it really seems to 6 of one and half a
dozen of the other.  They are both excellent choices for scripting.  If you are
already familiar with the C/C++ syntax, Perl may have the slight edge for you
since it uses much of the same operators and syntax.  Perl, however, has a
reputation for becoming executable line noise.  Python, on the other hand, is
more elegant and easier to read (it has the reputation of being executable
pseudo-code), and is more 'object-oriented' than Perl (although Perl does
support object-oriented programming also, in kind of a funky loose spirited way).

I'd say take a look at both languages and try to write something simple first
and see which one feels better for you.